Thursday 16 January 2014

Haley's Story

The First Day

Today was my first day teaching at Torch school in Winnipeg Manitoba, I was very excited and very nervous. On my way to my first day of teaching I had to stop at the store, I forgot to bring a lunch! At the store there were many different food choices. I decided on tacos, I payed for my items and continued my route to school.

When I arrived to Torch school I made my way to my classroom where very impatient children sat or ran around. I placed my coat on my newly bought coat rack and said " attention class please take your seats." They didn't listen so I was shouting a little bit and they still did not listen. It was complete chaos! I finally got them to sit down and listen" hello class my name is Miss. Traps, today we are learning about the alphabet!" "I hate the alphabet!" a child yelled. " my mom taut me this already!" another child yelled. Everyone started yelling, my first day of teaching was a catastrophe. I have children crying, screaming, talking, some were even jumping off of tables and catching each other! I had no control at all over the students I just broke down and cried! When I thought this couldn't get any worse the principal walked in wearing a cape, he said "Miss Traps control you class!" Im trying they just won't listen to me!" I said, the principal left and I was just done by now! As I sat and cried the children quieted down. I slowly looked up and there they sat patiently. I stood up and said "ok let's try some writing." some sighed but still sat patiently. "Ok I will hand out paper and I want you to try writing two sentences about what you want this year to be. It could be good, happy, or really anything you want." The children started writing and I started thinking this could be ok, they might actually like me. The lunch bell went and the students darted out of the classroom, I picked up the papers and headed to lunch.

Walking down the hallways I found out that not just my students we're misbehaving. Children were pushing and screaming it was hard but I made it to the "Torch School" staff room. In the staff room teachers sat and ate I new most of them already I walked up to Miss Barret otherwise known as Stacy. "Hello Stacy how is your first day going?" I asked " Fine Jessie (my first name) yours?" Stacy asked "If started out bad but turned out good!" I replied "that's good!" Stacy said. I walk away to the toaster to toast my taco they taste better that way! 

I enjoyed my lunch with Miss Barret then I returned to my classroom, there the children screamed and threw paper airplanes. I tried to calm them down but it wasn't working then all of a sudden my classroom neighbour Mr. Steven said " Jessie why is there a child drawing on my door!" "What oh my gosh I'm so sorry!" I ran outside the door and there sat Jake one of my students drawing on THE DOOR! " JAKE OFFICE NOW!" I said I went inside and had a talk with the kids. "Ok you guys it's my first day. It's my first time teaching. Look, growing up I was crazy like you I drove teachers crazy, now I realize it's not nice to do. You guys don't know how much work I put into these lessons and this classroom decor, I just want some respect!" They all stopped. Ok then let's continue this mornings work. They worked fine and some actually said sorry. I continued the day and it was fine.

The months went on and it was good, all the students were passing and have a great time in class. I have had so much fun working with these students! Something that I thought was going to be horrible turned out to be great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment